Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Bathing The Microwave Oven

Iknow, I know, I've been making a big mistake, but truth be told, this is how I clean my microwave oven. Thoroughly, with a scrubber and detergent under the kitchen sink, or under the bathroom tap, like I did today, slipping on the soapy floor in the process. The stars were kind and I didn't hurt myself but I have been getting quite a few outraged queries on how I can do that to the microwave because it can short-circuit or set the house on fire.

Actually, I didn't do this till a few years ago. I saw a friend doing something similar to this and when I exclaimed in surprise, she said, "Just make sure it's not plugged in," with a hearty laugh. I used to wipe it down. Then after I started bathing it, I would dry it for a day or more, turning it over a couple of times in the fond hope all the water in all the holes and crevices would drain and evaporate.

Well, no longer. I go back to the non-easy way of more frequent and less invasive maintenance. I'm sending this off to Akheela of Torview Toronto who's hosting Black & White Wednesday this week, created by Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook and now organised by Cinzia of Cindystar Blog.

18 comments:

  1. Phew! Glad you are going to clean it the normal way. We need you to keep making your soup come alive a little longer. Ok, that was a terrible line but you get my drift.
    Also. maybe you should let your friend know about it as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Jaya, I know, I've been feeling very repentant all of yesterday. I don't think my friend was as bad as me, really, she had set it on her kitchen table, not under flowing water.

      Delete
  2. Yikes.You are lucky. I have a cleaning lady who had a novel way of cleaning MW with steam. Apparently she would heat water to a very high temp inside the MW to clean it. At least that is what she told me when the circuit tripped and the MW blew off after one of her cleaning sprees.
    I have asked her to just wipe down and use no more novel methods on the new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you've gone back to the conventional way of cleaning your microwave, Sra. I seriously got a shock when I saw your FB post yesterday and the pic on this post is scary. Don't ever go back to doing this again, and yeah, let your friend know she should stop doing this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay, yeah, I won't do it again. My friend was not as bad as me, I just went the whole hog!

      Delete
  4. I am really shocked to hear the way you cleand it before, a full bath thank god you never got a shock yourself when you plugged in again to use. I clean them frequently so there is not a big mess but then i don't use my MW that oftne just to heat up things once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, thank God, I'm not going to do it again.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sending this picture you are brave to do this :) be careful i will put the picture up soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have updated the post :) thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonder how u/ur friend lifted the MW i always found it heavy! I steam a cup of water and lemon wedge on it. It deodorize and wipe with dry cloth the steam. Works really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I got used to it, Cham! Will try your tip too!

      Delete
  8. Seriously.

    Not in the future, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! took me a while to figure out that picture out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post is funny and interesting. I would like to share mine. I've Morphy RIchards Microwave Oven. I use a moist cloth and try to clean wherever possible. Sometimes I use scrubber and detergent but kitchen sink or bathroom tap is complete NO. I fear short-circuit too. Hence just moist cloth and sometimes detergent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Use a cup of water mixed with some white vinegar.Heat for 2 minutes and then wipe with a clean cloth.
    Vinegar removes odors and also disinfects.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cleaning the microwave can be as easy as wiping down all the splat marks, not scrubbing them like Cinderella. This is what to do. you will need the secret ingredient: good old stilled white vinegar.


    Oven Cleaning Gold Coast

    ReplyDelete
  13. White vinegar is a wonderful thing to use on cleaning the microwave. We cleaning a bunch of microwave ovens every week and believe me, this is one of the main ingredients we use. Rarely do we need to bring out anything stronger.

    Try it folks!
    Oven Cleaning Sheffield

    ReplyDelete

I moderate all my comments. So if you're a human spammer or a bot that can understand this warning, buzz off, don't waste your time here spamming.